Wrap & Send surveyed more than 200 men and women who earn more than $100,000 per year and regularly shop in-store and online at luxury retailers including Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom on their shipping preferences for luxury purchases.
Merchandise delivery is the last interaction a retailer has with its customer, so the speed of delivery and condition of the delivered package can influence a customer’s decision to return to that store or not. The goal of this survey was to determine which shipping company customers prefer when shipping luxury items such as designer apparel, handbags, shoes and more.
We discovered that most luxury shoppers consider FedEx the most trusted shipping company for high-end purchases. Also, 33 percent of respondents stated that if a luxury item was shipped using the United States Postal Service, they would be worried that it would be lost or damaged during shipping.
The full survey results are below.
Full Survey Results
- 25% of respondents prefer shipping company UPS and 19% prefer shipping company FedEx when having luxury items (such as designer apparel, handbags, shoes, etc.) shipped to them.
- 27% of respondents prefer to use UPS when returning a luxury purchase while 15% prefer to use FedEx for returns.
- 42% of people feel that the shipping company matters especially when shipping a luxury purchase.
- 54% of people always track luxury purchases that are shipped to them and 80% believe that the ability to track is a very important feature for these purchases.
- 61% of people stated that the United States Postal Service (USPS) is the worst shipping service for luxury goods.
- 60% said that FedEx is the best shipping service for luxury goods.
- 33% said that if a luxury item was shipped using the United States Postal Service (USPS), they would be worried that it would be lost or damaged during shipping.